Thursday, September 16, 2010

Belgian Brews




This is really only for those of you who enjoy beer, especially Belgian beer. Here are the 9 different types of beer I was able to try during my time in Brussels.

1. Guize – This is beer brewed very specifically at the Cantillon brewery. It is a type of Lambic brewed using a sporadic type of fermentation which lets in a lot of wild yeast strains during the process. It’s what helps give set it apart from other beers as does the three year cycle to brew a batch. It is denoted by a sour taste and lack of CO2, something I’ve only had one other time, at the New Belgium brewery with their wine casket brewed beer. It’s exceedingly unique and quite tasty. (Kris liked this one and the following one ladies)

2. Raspberry/Cherry flavored Lambic – This is also brewed at Cantillon. Like the Guize, but during the brew process they add in different kinds of fruit to enhance the flavor in different ways. They allowed us to sample the two above. Real good, and much more a true Lambic then you are bound to try on the US market

3. Westmalle Tripel - A dark, heavy Belgium beer. Brewed three times to enhance alcohol content and flavor (hence the Tripel). Had very fruity overtones and a high fermentation (10%)

4. V Cence – Recommended to me by the bartender after I told him I wanted something Amber, bitter, hoppy but still Belgium. It is all these things, along with having spicy/fruity aromas and taste. Very good. Liked this one a lot.

5. Val Dieu Grand Cru – Probably my favorite of the darker beers I tried. Very strong, definitely a sipper beer, at about 10.5%. Just a whole lot of flavor.

6. Chimay Bleu – Chimay is one of the six trappist breweries in Belgium still brewing and, along with Westmalle, probably the most commercial. This one was similar to Westmalle but I didn’t think it had as much flavor. Go with the Westmalle in my opinion. Still good though.

7. Rochefort 8 – This is a dark beer and a Tripel like a couple of the others I had tried already but maintains a more malty flavor in your mouth. It is served in a pretty shallow glass which makes me think it’s a beer that needs to breathe more than most. 8% alcohol content, like the name suggests.

8. Houldon Chouffe IPA – Maybe the best IPA I’ve ever had. IPA denotes a very high hop content, which makes them more bitter than most beers, which for me took some getting used to. Now I love them. Well this one had the hoppy flavor but also was very strong (10%) which is not quite like any IPA I’ve ever had. Like an IPA and a Belgium beer got together and had a baby beer. Delicious!

9. Radermacher Amber – Wanted an Amber after a few darker beers. This one had characteristics of usual ambers but also a lot of chocolate, caramel, even coffee overtones. Real nice finish. Would recommend to someone who likes ambers and stouts alike.

I had 2 more the next day in Amsterdam that I had bought on my way out but I forgot to notate their names. They were good, but no better than any of the ones listed here, so no loss. For you beer folks, hoped you enjoyed this. If not, why are you reading this?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment