Saturday, May 9, 2009

LIFE ON PARADISE Pt. 2



Ok, ok, I received word from a couple people wondering just what these “grizzly moments” I spoke of were, so allow me to be frank with you.

Honestly, my first week here was something of a bit of a nightmare. Lets just say if Kris weren’t here I probably would have poked my drumstick through one of the windows during a Promenade set and jumped out ☺ What made it so hard? Well the minute I got on I was handed four LARGE folders full of music to look at and learn. Of course most of it I didn’t really get a chance to look at because I had the task of listening and learning two full shows, each of which were roughly an hour each. So I rarely left my room in the first 72 hours, save to play the first of the two shows. After scraping my way on those I had a slew of sets to play with the crew around the ship. This incorporated the seemingly endless pile of songs of which to choose from, many of which I had never heard. To compound things more, I realized I was playing with a group of absolute professionals which made me feel VERY small about my own playing in the midst of trying to learn everything and also a pretty unforgiving boss who made sure I knew every time something wasn’t right (which was a lot). He’s the kind of guy that will only give you news if its bad. Not high on the encouragement…SO alas I began going into each set with a pit in my stomach, nervous to even sit behind the set and the time I wasn’t playing I was thinking about playing next so being able to relax was right out. It was not a fun place to start.

But nevertheless, the first week DID end and I began to feel more confident in the songs (we repeat a lot of stuff) and I began to get to know the other guys in the group and many of the other wonderful people on board here. It is true I still find moments to mess something up and I still deal with a boss who I’d rather not, but beyond that its beginning to feel manageable and EVERY once in a while fun and I’m also finding the ability to separate work from play and enjoy my down time, which has consisted of three great afternoons in Catalina with ocean kayaking (with seals!), awesome french toast and a beautiful boardwalk and some needed errand running and a showing of “Star Trek” in Long Beach.

But honestly, thank God, more then ever, for Tina. She has been the one constant (beyond God of course) and has been everything a terrific wife dealing with a stressed out and depressed husband can be. She’s amazing. And now I finally feel like I can join her in a place of soaking this adventure up for all the good things it brings. Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement. More soon!

-M

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it was such a rough first week, buddy. Sounds like a pretty hard way to start. I bet in a few days you'll already be the next pro AND you'll be so much better for having gone through this experience. SO COOL!

    Love you both, hot stuff.
    timbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh...that does sound grizzly!! Hope you are both able to find some encouragement on the ship and maybe you'll rub off on your boss! Missed you at Aaron's wedding yesterday...it was beautiful and a lot of fun, too...Keep the stories coming! :)

    ReplyDelete