Tuesday, August 10, 2010

1 ½ down, 12 ½ to go



So here I am, in the middle of possibly the biggest plane I’ve ever been on. We are somewhere over the Pacific Ocean and we are closing in on Auckland, New Zealand. We successfully navigated LAX, the goofy futuristic retro club pod we had lunch in and our way out of the US. I really had my reserves about a 13 hour flight (plus 2 more to Queenstown) but as I didn’t know, Air New Zealand is actually fully prepared to make that long of a flight absolutely bearable! In fact, this may be one of the most pleasant flights I’ve been on. They give you 73 FREE options for movies , the food was not half bad and on top of it all, free wine. Who does that? I’m sure the flight attendant was tickled pink OR considered me a nice cheap American tourist when I had to ask, first, if the movies were free and then if the wine was free. What?? Is that really such a ridiculous question? International flying is ok by me! (Or so I say now. Ask me after 10, 12 more flights….) I suppose it hasn’t been total roses. Ask Kris how much she’s been enjoying the man in front of us who apparently needs to clear his sinuses about every 30 seconds. You know that guttural noise that’s made when you’re snorting back ammo for a big loogie? Yeah, that seems to be this guy’s MO. He’s doing it right now, as I type this. Of course, it’s about 10 times more pronounced when you’re in the delicate balance of trying to get any type of sleep on the plane that you can. The guy across from me has stinky feet. He just does. I would like to think that that is something you can be pretty self aware of and not, for example, rest your feet on the head rest, or any other position that keeps them lateral with everyone else’s sniffers. But I digress. Kris is currently writing in her journal which I imagine would make for a much more coherent and amusing blog then this, but we both agreed that the blog was mine to upkeep so you’re stuck with me. Till later folks. I’m gonna take advantage of more free movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment